We are an audience engagement software platform that is used by over 4,000 media companies and marketers. Some of our leading-edge products include online contests, ballots, polls, quizzes, sweepstakes, email, audience insights, and more. We are seeking tech-savvy professionals who are passionate about databases, learn quickly, and are motivated to succeed.
The SQL DBA will be responsible for configuring and maintaining performance of critical SQL Server RDBMS systems, to ensure the availability and consistent performance of Second Street’s dynamic engagement platform. This is a “hands-on” position requiring solid technical skills, as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills. If you are seeking an opportunity to build a career in a high-tech organization with an outgoing team that enjoys what they do—this is your opportunity.
We strongly encourage people from different backgrounds and of all identities to apply. We are always eager to diversify our company and each new hire is a chance to add to our culture.
- Manage SQL Server databases from development to mission-critical production systems.
- Configure and maintain database servers and processes, including monitoring of system health and performance, to ensure high levels of performance, availability, and security.
- Independently analyze, solve, and correct issues in real time, providing problem resolution end-to-end.
- Assist developers with complex query tuning and schema refinement.
- Maintain Backups and perform Recovery including restoring data from backups.
- Provide 24/7 support for critical production systems.
- Perform scheduled maintenance and support release deployment activities after hours.
- Share domain and technical expertise, providing technical mentorship and cross-training to other peers and team members.
- Experience with Database Administration for MSSQL Server.
- Familiarity with High Availability (HA) and Disaster Recovery (DR) options for MSSQL Server.
- Experience working with Windows server, including Active Directory.
- Flexible, team player, “get-it-done” personality.
- Experience Monitoring and Troubleshooting issues with IO, Memory, and CPU pressure.
- Database upgrades in stand-alone, Clustered, and Always-On Availability Group environments.
- Ability to read, write, and tune T-SQL including stored procedures and functions.
- Modern databases including NoSQL, In-memory, Columnstore, Time Series.
- Cloud Experience (Amazon, Microsoft, Google).
- Linux skills.
- Networking skills.
- Knowledge/experience of advanced storage architectures.
- Familiar with SSIS.
- Experience with DevOps, GitHub.
- Programming Knowledge especially Visual Studio
Our benefits are all aimed at supporting a balanced life. Although we have cool things in the office like a shuffleboard table, video games, and snacks, none are about trapping people at the office or cajoling them into overtime. Just the opposite. We’re all about reasonable working hours, ample vacation time , fitness, wellness, food, education, and fun. If you're into bulleted lists, we have those, too:
- Competitive Salary
- Flexible PTO
- 401(k) plan with company contribution
- Computer of your choice
- Free parking or a Metro pass, your choice
- Private gym in the basement of our historic building
- Our focus on employee happiness leads to fun surprises like renting out movie theaters
- Twice-annual week full of fun, food, and games known as Company Week
- Our incredible medical, dental, and vision benefits are 100% covered for you, and 50% for your family
- We work in a fun office environment with a shuffleboard table, Nintendo Switch, Peloton Bike, and full kitchen stocked with snacks and beverages
How to Apply
Please email a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with SQL Database Administrator in the subject line.
 Our vacation time is unlimited, but not in an unhealthy way. This means we don’t cap the number of vacation days you take each year. This does not mean, however, that you can never come to work or take a vacation whenever you want. You still have a job to do! But we also didn't implement the policy as a way to trick people into taking fewer days off. In fact, we actively try to prevent that from happening. Here is how it works: when you want to take time off, get advice from the people who will be affected, then. Then announce it to the team. We'll clap for you, because we're serious about living a balanced life.
Second Street Media, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.